Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I went to the ER this morning because our regular doctor was out for the holiday and my throat was killing me. They didn't test me but they think I have strep so I decided to skip school and come home.
Since there isn't anything to do here but stare at our awesome maid cleaning, I thought I would write about our wonderful Thanksgiving party we had yesterday.

Oh sorry, one side note- My maid (here they are called Empleada's) has been a true blessing from God. She started the week before Levi died and she has been a tremendous help to our family. Maddox calls her Nina for Marina and loves her. Sofia speaks to her in Spanish all the time and I get to spend time studying Spanish and being with my kids rather than all the normal daily chores I would do. When were back in Abilene I will be looking for someone to come to the house to cook, clean and do laundry for $2 an hour if you know of anyone that is interested, HAHA! No but seriously this is a true luxury that we could never afford in the states yet such an affordable blessing here.

Ok, onto my Thanksgiving story. We had our team (minus the Davidson's who are in the States right now), two other families from the school and a teacher from our school all over at the Thompsons for a Thanksgiving feast. No offense to either sides of our family but it was one of the best Thanksgiving meals EVER! Here is what we had we had-
  • sweet stuffing
  • salty stuffing
  • green bean casserole
  • sweet potato casserole (that belonged on the dessert table, really)
  • mashed potatoes
  • gravy
  • an ENTIRE salad bar that looked better than "Souper Salad"
  • Turkey
  • Jalopeno corn dish
  • corn on the cobb
  • homemade rolls
  • sweet potato puree
  • pumpkin pie
  • pecan pie
  • pumpkin cheesecake
  • pumpkin cookies
  • pumpkin/chocolate chip muffins
  • blackberry cobbler
I think that was it. It was an amazing spread and we all pretty much stuffed ourselves till we were sick. The guys got to watch some of the Texas/A&M game and the girls had some great fellowship while cleaning (HA!)
Even though we all missed our families we truly had a wonderful time with our "other family."
I have to give everyone a shout out because we were all used to going to our families houses to eat and none of us had ever cooked the meal before. We all did an incredible job doing things from scratch and for the first time. Justin made a turkey for the first time in his life and Lindsey (who is also going to Lima, Peru) made this salad bar with homemade croutons, radishes, cranberries, parsley, spinach, cucumber, carrots, palm hearts, homemade roasted sweet pecans and homemade dressings. I will post pictures later.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. We are so grateful for each and everyone of you.

2 comments:

daddyO and honey said...

Sounds wonderful!!! I'm so glad you are able to manage without all of our help. God's blessings your direction. love to all.

nana/mom said...

I knew you'd come up with a FABULOUS Thansgiving!! I want to come to YOUR meal next year!:-)We sure missed you here! Love and kisses!