Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The Small Things-Toilet paper holders and haircuts???

Yesterday morning I had a realization about some funny and yet small things (in comparison) that I am thankful for.
We are spending a few days with my family here in San Antonio. Yesterday I went in to go get some toilet paper to blow my nose and thought to myself "wow, how cool that this toilet paper is actually on a wall mount toilet paper holder." After I thought that, I was thinking to myself that THAT was the weirdest thing I've been thankful for in a long time. Soon after that, I took a bath in their tub and was so thankful for a "real" bath. I am known to take a bath EVERY NIGHT but in the house we are in right now there wasn't a tub so my sweet husband went out and bought a big plastic bin for the kids and I to take baths in. Needless to say, it's just not the same.

We are so thankful for our temporary house PLEASE know that, but the word "temporary" for us has stretched from 3 months to 10 months. That being said those leaks on your bed when it rains, having to search for the toilet paper roll everytime you go to the bathroom, the people on your street coming by at 11pm asking for money, the lack of a tub and a huge mound of dirt for your back yard is just not as "oh no big deal, it's just temporary" as it was about 2 months ago.

I would like to emphasize that we feel EXTREMELY blessed to be in a home that is literally behind the church that we are supported by and where the kids go to school. Lee walks down the alley to work, the kids walk across the alley for school and we are now officially on-time for church (since it's a 1 minute walk.) We have friends that literally furnished the ENTIRE house when we got there with furniture, house ware and kitchen items. So, it is great for what we need right now.

Ok, that was a total tangent about the house but I did want to mention one more thing that I'm thankful for-
Yesterday was the first time and hopefully the last time that Sofia gave herself a HAIRCUT! She went into my mom's closet and took a pair of scissors and CUT her HAIR. When she came in and told me she cut her hair I wasn't sure what my first reaction should be, disbelief, anger or laughter!
Anyway, here are the pictures of the damage!

I guess she was going for bangs

The hair-formally on Sofia's head

Guilty as charged

Sofia re-creating the moment

Just a funny picture of Maddox in the beginnings of potty training

Slightly proud of his accomplishments!

Just a sweet picture I thought I would include

3 comments:

Kim said...

That last picture is precious. I love it! Hope yall are doing well. We so need to get together and catch up! I know I always say that, but we do! Have a good week girly!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Such wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing your blog with us. Sharing your journey with others is a wonderful testimony of faith, family and love. God bless,

Summer said...

Love those kids! That picture of Sofia reenacting the crime is hilarious! That explains why she was telling Ava, "I have bangs now like you!"

Glad you enjoyed TP and a bath at your moms. Hopefully you're enjoying a luxurious weekend retreat as I type this. Ahhh. I am going to live vicariously through you as I imagine you sleeping in tomorrow morning.